Wednesday, May 20, 2009

We go together...

There are so many ways to complete that phrase...we go together like: peanut butter and jelly, a wink and a smile, ham and eggs...the list goes on. I'm pretty lucky that I have found my perfect match when it comes to my hubs. My best friends little sister got married this past weekend and so I've been thinking a lot about my own wedding and all that good stuff...and really I am truly blessed! So, as I'm sure you have figured out by now, I'm back. Well at least giving it a try. Hopefully I can keep up with this and continue to share little bits of my life with you fine folks. But before I begin to ramble too much about all that I'm going to get to my original thought. Those perfect matches in the world, tonight's pairing is all about the spaghetti (or really penne) and meatballs.

I did a race last weekend, okay race is probably too ambitious of a word. It was really a crazy hike in the woods, which involved climbing up LOTS of big hills and then going through a very muddy finish line, but it was a good time. You can check out my stellar finish HERE if you're so inclined. I think I'm somewhere around the 1 min 30 second mark. It's pretty funny so you should check it out. Anyway, after we finished we had a big bonfire and they served spaghetti and meatballs (which I didn't get to eat) but have been thinking about ever since. And also can I just mention that whenever I think of spaghetti and meatballs I also think of this:

I can't help it, the image appears in my head and the rest of the night, day, morning - whatever am singing "Bella Notte".

So I decided that tonight would be the night I tried my hand at homemade meatballs to go along with my homemade sauce. I didn't have a recipe for these so I just looked at a few and took my favorite things from all of them and figured that would be good enough. They turned out WONDERFUL and even my kids loved them, which is always a plus in my book - but really what's not to love. I mean just check out my little guys face...that's a happy camper.



Kel's Turkey Meatballs

  • 1.25 lbs ground turkey
  • 1 egg (lightly beaten)
  • 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
  • 1/2 cup (or so) chopped onion
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • fresh cracked black pepper

Set oven on broiler setting. Mix all of the above up. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Make mixture into meatballs (the size is up to you - I got about 18). Place on sheet and stick in the oven for 10-15 min until browned on top and cooked. Add to your sauce for another 10 or so so that the meatballs can soak up some of the sauce. Toss with your pasta and you're good to go! Really yummy and good for you too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Up late waiting on a random phone call from a country somewhere in the pacific...thought I'd play blog catch up and glad I did. :) That plate of eats looks AMAZING! Yum! And his little grin is so precious!

Glad the "race" was a fun time!

Anonymous said...

wow, when I clicked to your page and saw not one but TWO entries i was like OMG. i have to read these!!! I am so glad that you are back to blogging, having a few extra minutes here and there now is always good! You need that. The meat balls looked amaizing i want to eat food now by the way. and umm...the race was pretty funny i think you swam to the finish! :) i would of totally been pissed if my shoes got ruined though. that was my thought process while watching! your a trooper!