Thursday, April 22, 2010

April Showers

Okay, so here's my corny joke...if April showers bring May flowers, what do may flowers bring??

Give up??

Pilgrims... Ha Ha! Okay, I told you it was corny, but my big kid loves that joke.

We have had some rain the past few days, and yesterday woke up to a pretty rainy morning. The boys (well really just my big kid) actually requested something OTHER than cereal so I took the opportunity to try a pancake recipe that I've been wanting to make for awhile now. Because what is better on a rainy morning than a big old stack of pancakes??


They turned out FABULOUS and are now my most favorite "go to" pancakes. They are fluffy, sweet but not TOO sweet, with a hint of butter - YUM! Of course I could have ate the whole batch, but I had to settle for a bite of the munchkins stack. The boys and the husband also gave these a double thumbs up. And, one of my favorite things about this recipe, is it doesn't require any ingredients that I don't usually have on hand. Don't get me wrong, I love me some buttermilk pancakes, but I don't always have a carton of the buttery goodness on hand.

So, if you're looking for a good go to pancake recipe, might I suggest the following:

Fabulous Pancakes
recipe adapted by me from HERE

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup milk + 1/4 cup heavy cream (or just use all milk)
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.

Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee - or a nice tall glass of milk.

So, what else have I been doing other than making rainy day pancakes?? Not much actually - although I feel like I've been really busy, it's just normal day to day ins and outs. The school year is almost over, and we are looking forward to the summer and all the fun it brings. I've been baking up a storm, which means the guys that work with my sweet husband have been enjoying lots of goodies. Today I sent in a batch of those banana sticky buns that I posted a few months ago. I heard they were a hit! I also made some creamy lemon bars, which I will post hopefully this weekend.

That's about it for me...until next time...go make some pancakes and get your upcoming weekend started off right!!!

1 comment:

Sam S. said...

Those are beautiful pancakes, might try them this weekend for my wees, we're out of buckwheat mix as is the commiscary. Lucky guys that Matt works with, getting to sample all your stuff.

Will let you know how the brownies turn out, a friend is having a yard sale this weekend, her daughter is having a lemonade and treat stand, I promised to make something for her to sell. :) Much more fun than baking for the FRG! LOL (Shhh, I didn't say that!)