Friday, January 8, 2010

Cozy Comforts...

Another day down...another day we did not leave the house. Not that I could have ventured out in our lovely weather (currently 1 with a "feels like" temp of -12) even if I wanted to because the hubs took my car to work today. It seems that Jasper (the Jetta TDI) isn't so much a fan of the negative teens and doesn't really enjoy starting, so to avoid a trip out later to go pick the husband up from work because his car won't start after sitting in a parking lot all day, he took my car and the kids and I are - or were as it is now - once again - house bound.

So - what did I do?? Other than play board games, and the wii, and other randoms...


And no...being inside with my kids all week didn't drive me to start drinking mid-morning. This was the start of my stew that we had for dinner. Guinness Beef Stew. Delish. This is the second time I have made this, and it's a big hit. Even the boys love it.


It has a little prep-work in the begining but after that's all said and done you throw it in the slow cooker and go about your day. Really it doesn't get any better than that.

My big helper above...and yes he's still in his pj's but I did eventually dress my children today, it just hadn't happened yet at this point...


And on a cold night like tonight - our low tonight is -23 by the way (without factoring in any wind-chill) it was nice to have some good comfort food. If you're interested you can find the recipe here.


And speaking of comfort food...that got me thinking of other cozy comforts that I can't make it through the winter without. In no particular order:

- my Uggs (both the slippers and my snow boots)
- turtle neck sweaters
- flannel pj pants
- chap-stick
- our oh-so-convenient flip of a switch fireplace
- working furnace :)
- a good book (or a stack of good books really)

Just to name a few. Okay, well it's time for me to wrap this up. I know I've been pretty "food heavy" since my return to blogging, but we really haven't been anywhere and I don't think you want to see pictures of my laundry (which is the other thing I've been doing a lot of). Next week it's going to be in the 30's so hopefully we will venture out a bit more! Hope you all have a great weekend!!

3 comments:

Sam S. said...

That stew sounds great! When I first saw the can of Guinness I thought you succumbed to the carbomb cupcakes. ;) We might have to try that one, crockpot meals are always a plus in this house.

Stay warm and cozy!

Anonymous said...

umm what are the two diff. color yellows...is that two diff. potatos, cause it looks like bananas and clearly it is not. hehe. but looks yummy. I need you for my house to make me yummy food. :)

Anonymous said...

umm what are the two diff. color yellows...is that two diff. potatos, cause it looks like bananas and clearly it is not. hehe. but looks yummy. I need you for my house to make me yummy food. :)