Monday, January 11, 2010

I blinked...

...and the weekend flew by. Friday was another snow day (I think I mentioned that in my last post) so it was another slow day around the house. But things cleared up (and started to warm up) by Saturday and we took advantage of it. I met some friends at the gym in the AM for a morning workout, then came home and did some baking (yes again) for dinner at a friends house Saturday night. Pictures and cookie details to follow at the end of the post.

Dinner was great. It was my first time to meet this family (it's a co-worker of my hubs). We wanted to have a little get together because the guy is also being sent out to HI for the same work thing as my hubby and his wife is also going. So we wanted to meet so that when we are there maybe we can hang out a few days while the guys are working. The night went well, and the gal is super nice and I think we will have a good time together soaking up rays on the beach. We are both looking forward to getting sun and sticking our nose in a good book (or 3 or 4). And the kids had a blast as well. Of course they were just super excited to actually be OUT of the house and interacting with someone the same age.

Sunday went by in a blink. We "thought" that the hub's uncle was coming into town on Monday (today) for an interview, but it turns out that there was a bit of a misunderstanding and he got in Sunday morning instead because the interview was THIS morning. So we got home from church and I was fixing lunch then going to start cleaning my house for company (thinking I had all day) when the hubs gets a call and it turns out he was already in the area and on his way!! EEK! So, we quick cleaned and picked up as best we could (thankfully I had already washed sheets and cleaned the guest room/bathroom). He arrived not long after the call and we just spent the rest of the day catching up and enjoying our visitor. Technically he is my hub's uncle, but he's closer to our age and has kids the same age as ours. We all went out to dinner at one of our local places we like to take visitors and had a really nice day.

Which brings me to today. It's been a busy one, and I know the kids will sleep well tonight because it's been our first day in about 3 weeks that we have really been "on schedule". And if they aren't tired I sure am!! I've got book club later, which i am really looking forward to. While I am out I'm going to pick up my cookbook that I will be cooking my way though this year so I'll make sure to post what that is. Okay, well the lasagna is in the oven and I need to wrap up the rest of supper so I'll leave you with some pictures and the link to the cookies and call it a day!

Big kid working the mixer.

We had a lot of Christmas candy left-over so when I came across a recipe for some peppermint cookies I knew I had found a winner. I tried to make a similar recipe over before the holidays, but something went dreadfully wrong and my cookies came out flat...and hollow...and generally strange. Then two days later the same thing happened again with a different recipe. I was beginning to panic, because cookies are somewhat of a specialty for me, and I was worried that my skills had disappeared. But this recipe has restored my confidence.

Ready to go into the oven.
These do require some time in the fridge, so if you're going to make them do it early or even the night before. I added chopped up peppermint bark, which tasted wonderful, but made slicing the cookies hard later on so next time I might do something like mini chocolate chips.

But aside from being a little tricky to slice, they turned out wonderful and were a big hit at dinner with our friends Saturday - especially the kiddos (which is really who they were for). I also made a mocha swirl cheesecake which was FANTASTIC but didn't get any pictures of it in the "after" stage, so I'll have to post that recipe another time.

If you're interested here is the recipe:

Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Cookies
Adapted from allrecipes
Yields: 36 cookies

Ingredients
1 cup shortening (I am betting butter would work just fine)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon butter flavoring (I added this because I used shortening)
2 drops pure peppermint extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies (I used 3 candy canes)

Method
1. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla, butter extract and peppermint extract.
2. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in crushed candies.
3. Shape into a 15-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/8-in. slices. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
4. If desired, dip the cooled cookies in melted chocolate and garnish with more crushed candy canes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH and the lemon bars look delish. :) miss you we need to have a chat on FB or emails or call soon let me know.