Monday, March 15, 2010

Daring Cooks - Cozy Comforts

I'm getting this posted just in the nick of time.

The 2010 March Daring Cooks challenge was hosted by Eleanor of MelbournefoodGeek and Jess of Jessthebaker. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make risotto. The various components of their challenge recipe are based on input from the Australian Masterchef cookbook and the cookbook Moorish by Greg Malouf.

This was another great challenge. I've made risotto before, but never on my own. Mine usually came out of a box where most of the details were already handled for me. For this challenge we made risotto with homemade stock (mine was chicken stock) and a standard "base" recipe. Once we were to a certain point we were free to doctor it up as we desired. I chose to make a sweet potato risotto and served it with some spicy pork chops and greens - YUM!

Here are a few pictures of my process.

The key ingredient
one of the important elements in getting started - onions
homemade chicken stock - this alone was worth making again - so much better than what you buy in the store!!
And - the finished product.

My hubs and I really enjoyed this dish, and it made a TON so we got to enjoy it for many many days. Thanks for a wonderful challege. I'll be trying a new flavor again soon!

If you're curious about recipes used, please check the link here: Risotto

Enjoy :)

3 comments:

Sam S. said...

Yum...looks and sounds amazing! If only I could eat rice I'd sooo try it. I saw some of the other Daring Cook's Risotto's on FoodGawker...it all looked wonderful.

Audax said...

What a wonderful colour you got into your risotto and your chicken stock looks totally delicious. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Angelica said...

yummers! Glad you got the post in just in time :D Great job on the challenge!