Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Peanut Gallery

Hello Folks...

Well as I write this post I am laid up on the couch with ice on my ankle. Why you might ask...well it seems that I am not strong enough to move large heavy objects (like TV's) and happened to drop the TV I was moving on my ankle. Thankfully it sort of just went down the side and not directly on top of my foot, but I do have a nasty gash and a little swelling. However...today is the 14th which means its posting day for Daring Cooks, and because I really enjoyed this challenge, I wanted to be sure to get it posted on time!

The July 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by Margie of More Please and Natashya of Living in the Kitchen with Puppies. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make their own nut butter from scratch, and use the nut butter in a recipe. Their sources include Better with Nut Butter by Cooking Light Magazine, Asian Noodles by Nina Simonds, and Food Network online.

I had NO idea how fun, and super easy, it is to make your own nut butter. I chose to do peanut butter, but I have lots of recipes bookmarked for all sorts of butters. But because we are moving next month, I didn't want to go TOO crazy making stuff that we would then have to try and hurry to use up. Here are a few pictures of my peanuts and butter...forgive the poor quality, I used my phone to take these pictures because I didn't want to go up and get my camera...I know lazy, but sometimes that's just how I roll.

The recipe I made was delicious. I sort of used a combination of two different curry recipes that I had on hand. I only had about 1/2 the ingredients for each, so I did a combination and it turned out wonderful. AND the whole family loved it, which is always a plus. It's a chicken and vegetable curry and at the end I tossed it with some noodles (we didn't have any rice)...YUMMY!



I still have some of my peanut butter left and I've been using it in my oatmeal, on crackers, celery, really anything you can put peanut butter on, I've been using it. I think after the move, homemade nut butters will become more of a standard in this house! :)

Okay folks, if you are interested in the directions for making your very own nutty butter wonderfulness, you can check out the info HERE. I highly recommend giving it a try!!

This post is going to be short and sweet. I should probably take the ice off my foot and check on the swelling, so with that I'm off. I'll be back soon though - later gators.

6 comments:

Audax said...

Hope your foot heals quickly for you. It is great to hear to half recipes gave you a one wonderful full recipe well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Margie said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery on your injury. Ouch! I'm so impressed you could whip together such a fabulous curry by using ingredients you had on hand. I've never had peanut butter in my oatmeal, I'll have to give a try.

Kelly said...

Sometimes the best recipes come when you improvise. Looks great! Kelly

Sam S. said...

Looks and sounds amazing, curry is the best!

Hope your ankle is better soon, bummer.

chef_d said...

I hope your ankle is better now. I love how you mixed two kinds of curry recipes and they came out delicious! I think it tastes even better on noodles, great job!

cuppy said...

Hint from Heloise: Place large objects on cardboard (for carpet) or a sheet (for smooth floors) and push instead of carry.

I've never had peanut butter in my oatmeal, either, and I'm definitely intrigued. Sounds like you've been getting a lot of good use out of your homemade nut butter. :D

I'm glad you were inspired to whip up your own curry recipe, too!