Thursday, July 8, 2010

Big Threes!!!!

Hello folks, how's it going??

It is a beautiful morning here, just one of those days that makes you want to get out there and do stuff. Which is good because later we have a picnic for the hubby's work that we are going to. This morning I have dedicated to getting things done. So far I've done my bible study, had breakfast, folded the last of my laundry, and loved on my kiddos. Now they are watching a show before breakfast, so I figured I would use this un-disturbed time to do some bloggin'. :)

How was everyone's Independence Day weekend?? What did you do to celebrate our country's independence?? We had a FABULOUS weekend. My mom and dad came up for one last visit before we move on to celebrate both the 4th and then our little munchkin's THIRD birthday!! I can't believe my "baby" is three. He is doing fabulous, and just such the little man now. It seems that overnight he went from my little guy, to full fledged "big kid" that no longer needs much help from Mama and Daddy. He's 100% potty trained (has been for about a month now) and into everything that big brother does. So here's a big birthday shout out to my little man - Happy Birthday Sweetie...Mama LOVES you bunches!!! Here he is with his Lightning McQueen cake that yours truly made. It's a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and Lightning McQueen of course. The recipe was wonderful and I'll post it at the end.

Three years ago...


My sweet boy


Here are some more pictures from our weekend. For the 4th we went to see fireworks, and the next night we did lots of fun fireworks here at the house. The boys had a blast, and really got into it this weekend.



The hubs and I even got a date night which was awesome. I dragged him to see Eclipse so I could get my vampire fix (I know...me and all the other little teenagers). It was much better than New Moon, but I really can't wait for the last one. That was my favorite of all the books...but waiting is something I will have to do because it's like 500 days until it comes out or something like that...hmmmm.

So, we are at 5 weeks until our moving day! I can't believe it's so close - CRAZINESS!! It's hard to believe that our time here is just about up. I'll be sad to leave, but am also really looking forward to our new adventure. I just wish I knew where we would be AFTER SOAC, but I'm going to have to be patient on that one (yet again just like above) because we still have awhile before we know anything that is "final". However, I'm not so much looking forward to the whole "going out to sea" bit again, but I'm sure I'll get into the swing of it again...sooner or later. :)

In-case you missed it on my FB, check out Matt's claim to fame. Okay maybe not "fame" but he's in a recruiting video for the Navy.



Hehe...

So, I think that is about it for our updates. We are still making the most of our summer. Lots of time at the pool and the parks, and playing with friends. Okay, well here is that recipe I promised. My mom found this recipe and brought it with her, it was the one my grandma used and she always made the BEST stuff so I was excited to try it. She didn't let me down, it was AWESOME! I'm a big fan of carrot cake, but I'm kind of picky about it. I don't like it to have a bunch of extra "stuff" in it, I just want the wonderful carrot-y cake-ness. For our cake I did omit the nuts, because both my hubby and daddy are not a fan of nuts in baked goods, so I left those out, but everything else I kept the same.

Grandma's Carrot Cake

Ingredients and directions

- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs

Mix the above together. Combine the following separately then add to the above.

- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon

Stir in the following:

- 3 c. shredded carrots
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Cook @ 350F for 30 min in (3) 8 inch cake pans. Let cool on rack then frost with cream cheese icing. * Note: this recipe makes three very thin layers, if you want two thicker layers you will need to increase the baking time.

Enjoy!!

Okay, well that's it for me folks. I really will try to be better about posting, but I can make no promises! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend - I know we plan to!!

1 comment:

Sam S. said...

The cake sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing the recipe! Sounds like your family is busy doing and enjoying before the big move!