Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Swiss Swirls

It's the 28th...that means it's the day AFTER it was time to reveal our Daring Bakers challenge of the month (yes I am a day late...sorry folks)! The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.

This was such a fun challenge, and perfect for us here in the Midwest with the humidity in the upper 90's and temps over 100!! We were to make a swiss cake roll from scratch, homemade ice cream, and a homemade hot fudge sauce. Having never made any of these on my own (with the exception of making ice cream one time last summer at my parents house) this challenge was exciting.

For my cake, hot fudge and chocolate ice cream I used the recipes that can be found HERE on the Daring Kitchen website. But for my second ice cream I went with plain old sweet cream ice cream - my FAVORITE. I'll include the recipe below, but it's SUPER easy. Just three things!! Here are some pictures I snapped of the cake making process and begining layering stages.

The batter

It ended up taking two full days for the challenge. One day to bake, cool and fill the cakes, along with making the ice creams, and the second day to assemble and make the hot fudge. It's not too hard to pull together, but there is a lot of waiting involved with all the different layers. This did get me into a little bit of a time crunch. The hot fudge layer took much longer than I expected to fully freeze up, so that is why I am posting a day later. I needed another few hours after adding the last layer of chocolate so it could harden back up to slice.

Adding the last layer of chocolate ice cream

all finished and ready to slice - the little one is eying his share
ready to eat
big kid gives a "thumbs up"

This was a big hit with my family, but then again, what's not to love about cake and ice cream!!!

Okay well that's it for this swiss swirliness. I think this would make a really fun birthday cake, and may just try it next year!

For the sweet cream ice cream you can find the recipe HERE. Enjoy - it's DELICIOUS!! Oh, and I used base #2 for my recipe. I was a big fan of the not having to cook it part!!

Some of the leftover ice cream after filling the first layer

5 comments:

Amanda Fliger said...

Awww, the sweet cream ice cream reminds me of our numerous trips to Graeters and Maggie Moos. The final product looked amazing!

Anonymous said...

can I say um YUMMMMMM woah I would be like 500 lbs if you lived by me, cause i would come eat all your desserts. good thing for me that you are far far away... only for that reason though! :) haha

Tia said...

great job! i love the sliced piece pictures, looks like zebra stripes! and your son is adorable!!! how olld is he? mine is 3.

Tia @ buttercreambarbie

Simona Carini said...

Very nice! And I love the photos of the supporters. It's so nice to get the reward for our efforts in someone's smile.

Sam S. said...

That looks wonderful...sweet cream ice cream is best stuff ever! Love the little one's new hair cut, the boys are handsome as always.