Thursday, June 25, 2009

Getting Creative

This always happens to me...I'll go to the store, and pick up a bunch of veggies and other cool stuff that I have the best intentions of using up, but I end up getting WAY too much, and then one day I open the fridge and realize that 1/2 the stuff in there needs to be cooked ASAP or it will spoil and have to be thrown away.

This was the case last night...which lead me to this:


...and the funny thing is most of the day I was just going to order pizza. So what is this? Well the veggies you see are summer squash and zuch that have been in my fridge for awhile. One of my favorite ways to eat them is to slice them up, along with a medium onion, spray a pan with cooking spray, add the veggies, some salt and pepper, and cook on medium until soft but not too squishy (stirring occasionally) and viola - a yummy and healthy side dish:

To go along with the veggies I dug around and found a bag of frozen butternut squash ravioli that have been hanging around the freezer for awhile, and some turkey sausage. So, I threw together a quick and pretty easy pasta dish which is what you see below. I'll include my "recipe" but I'm sorry to say it's not very exact.

Butternut Ravioli with Turkey Sausage

Ingredients:

  • 1 package lean sweet Italian turkey sausage
  • 1 bag frozen ravioli (any kind you like but I had the squash)
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 10 sage leaves (more for garnish)
  • Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Cook turkey sausage according to package directions, remove from heat when done and slice. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside. Melt butter in large pan, add sage when melted and remove from heat for about 10 min. to let sage infuse into butter. Put back on heat, and mix in milk and cheese, let bubble slightly and stir. Add in the pasta and sausage, stir to evenly coat. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

I chose to leave out one of the links of sausage and slice it up and put it on a salad. It was delicious, I used spinach, the meat, and then topped it with yellow bell pepper and the veggies from above. Nice and light and YUM!

As you can see...we were ALL happy campers!!

Okay, well once again I need to jet out of here, if we're not on our way to one place we're on our way to another. But I am impressed I actually got two posts in one day in! WOAH! Time for us to hit the gym then it's off to soccer camp.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ugh makin me hungry again! ok so there are four books in the series. You have to read all 4, once you start youll be hooked. I am on the 4th book right now and its amazing! soooo are you gonna start soon? let me know. i cant wait to see what you think. :)