Monday, June 8, 2009

Out with the old...

...and in with the new (or clean, or just different). Clean sheets, new haircuts, even transformed some old bananas into something much better (pictures and recipe on that below).

Yesterday was pretty busy for us - although for most of the day I was feeling lazy...don't quite know why though. So lets see, the day started out getting rid of old dirty laundry and replacing it with clean stuff...changed sheets, picked up the house, all that fun stuff. By 9:30 we were on our way to the gym.

Came home for lunch, the little one took a nap, and the big kid did quite time. I have been inspired to make a shower curtain for the boys bathroom - and therefore re-decorate it, so I browsed online for some ideas to get a start on that. After quiet time I decided it was time for the big kid to get a haircut that would be better for him this summer. If you've ever met my kid you know he has a TON of hair, and he's always so hot and sweaty - so (drum roll please) here are the before and after pictures.
BEFORE

AFTER


HE LOOKS SOOOO BIG!!! And if it were even possible, it makes his eyelashes look even LONGER than before. It's quite the change, and I still can't believe I did it, but it will be good for the summer. Although mark my words, come this winter I'll let it grow out again!
Anyway, so after the new haircut, he helped me use up some old bananas for this wonderful banana bread! It is really yummy, and it's from cooking light, so it's not too bad for you either!!


Classic Banana Bread (Cooking Light)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup butter, softened (I used 3 Tbsp instead of 4)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas) *I used 4*
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cooking spray


Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (in my oven it took about 1hr 10 min). Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Nutritional Information (for original recipe)
Calories: 187 (21% from fat), Fat: 4.3g (sat 2.4g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.3g), Protein: 3.3g, Carbohydrate: 34.4g, Fiber: 1.1g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Iron: 1mg, Sodium: 198mg, Calcium: 20mg


I just love the smell of my house when the bread is cooking...YUM!! So, all in all that was the majority of our day yesterday. Last night I had book club which was nice. Today has been pretty low key. We've had thunderstorms off and on all day, so we manly hung around the house with the exception of a quick trip to target. Oh, and I cleaned out my car! It really needed to be done, and I love getting into a nice clean car!

Well, that's it for me. I'll be back soon with more updates!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD!!! I cannot believe that is him...he looks like such a...a...big kid little man like creature! WOWZ! But oh so handsome! Great work mom. ;)

Looking forward to seeing some of your new stuff as you get around to i!

Kristen said...

That is too freakin's cute! I love it! He looks so much older.

How did the shower curtain turn out? I am interested to see what did. I would love to re-do Ian's bathroom in to something older.