Monday, June 14, 2010

Pesto and Pate...

Yes, you heard that right, pate (I don't feel like figuring out how to add all the little symbols above the actual spelling of the word, but I'm sure you all will forgive me), but not the liver kind, this was a veggie based one, and over all I'd say it's pretty tasty.

Maybe I should back up a bit - It's the 14th, which means Daring Cooks posting day. Our hostesses this month, Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz, and Valerie of a The Chocolate Bunny, chose delicious pate with freshly baked bread as their June Daring Cook’s challenge! They’ve provided us with 4 different pate recipes to choose from and are allowing us to go wild with our homemade bread choice.

I'm going to report in steps. First, as I mentioned above, I chose the veggie recipe that they provided. It wasn't as challenging as some of the others, but it's the only one that I was sure my hubs and kiddos would eat. I did most of it with the food processor, layered it in the little dishes, and then stuck it in the fridge for about 24 hours. Here area few shots I took along the way - as well as the finished product.


As always (if your interested) you can find the pate recipe here.

The next part of the challenge was the homemade bread. First off let me say that while I have made cinnamon rolls, and pita bread one time, this was my first time making loaf bread. It took me awhile to decide what KIND of bread I wanted to make - but I referred once again to my handy "Passion for Baking" cookbook, and found a recipe for a Pain Pesto. YUM! I figured this would go nice with the pesto in the pate as well. I was a little nervous when after mixing in all my flour I realized that I measured my water 1/4 c. short, but it still managed to turn out wonderful!


Sorry there aren't many pictures of the early bread stages. My camera battery was dead and it took the first part of the bread making process to charge up.

And here is the bread and pate together. It makes for a good hefty snack that's for sure. I think the pate would also go very nice with pita chips - the bread was great, but maybe too much for the pate.

Okay well that's it for me and this month's DC challenge. I'll be back soon with some other goodies that I'll be cooking up this week.

6 comments:

chef_d said...

I like it that you made the tri-color pate into a round shape. Your pain pesto looks yummy!

Jo said...

Great job on your challenge and the pate looks really delicious. Love the look of that bread as well.

Ruth H. said...

That pesto bread looks really good... and looks like it was a great compliment to the veggie pate! Nice work on this challenge. I hope your family enjoyed it!

Sam S. said...

Just beautiful! I have that veg based pate recipe bookmarked to make asap. Yum!

Becca said...

thanks for stopping by! your bread looks so delicious! nice job on the challenge.

Anonymous said...

OK yah that was gonna make me nervous cause i was like pate??? really gross, but then i read on... yum