Saturday, March 5, 2011

A place for everything...

And everything in it's place...I've become even more of an organizational basket-case than usual.

All I can say is I must have hit the "nesting" stage of the pregnancy because I've been doing some very NON-Kel like things. Like ironing...I HATE ironing. I don't even iron the hub's uniforms, he does it - I avoid it like the plague. But yesterday I found myself ironing the wrinkles out of the pillowcases that go on the guest bed. Never-mind the fact that they are going to be wrinkled the first time someone lays down, or that we're not expecting anyone for another 5 weeks (after the baby arrives) but yesterday it was something I felt just HAD to be done.

Odd...very odd indeed.

Then today I continued my trend by washing and then ironing the bed skirt for the guest room as well.

However, in the midst of all this ironing I did come up with a good system to help organize my desk a bit - this is where the "everything in it's place" comes in. My desk and I have a "love/hate" kind of relationship. I love it because it does this.

I can't stand it because when it's open it's a giant mess and there isn't anywhere to put anything and the top of my scanner ends up as a landing pad...blah.

But I came up with this, and it not only works great but I had all the stuff on hand.

To make the folders, I used two file folders, stapled the sides, and covered them with cute scrapbook paper. I joined them together using paperclips.

Now I have two pocket folders to store all my papers that I can't file away yet, but I don't need ALL the time. These papers usually end up, A. stuck to my whiteboard making it all messy, or B. floating around my desk and driving me insane.

For the clear pocket I used a page protector. I cut off the side, and now it's the perfect size to hold my monthly calendar that I print out, and it's easy to swap one for another.

The lettering I did myself with a sharpie. To attatch it to my board I used these command strips from 3M. That way I can easily remove the folders if need be.

And I still have a little room on the whiteboard to jot a few things down. Best of all...

I can see the top of my scanner!! Ahhhh...

Now if only the cute fabric I ordered would get here so I could get to work on my next project. Maybe I'll come up with another clever idea while I wait. Only time will tell.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Sam S. said...

Great idea! It looks much like the meal planner folder system I've been wanting to put together.

blunoz said...

Saw a blog post of yours show up in my Google Reader about a new Christian blog you were reading, but I don't see it here on your blog. Anyway, it made me think to tell you about Amy's blog http://amyslemonadelife.blogspot.com/. Her husband was my chop on my first boat. She writes some very good blog posts with powerful messages linked to scripture.