Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesday at the Table

Well, here we are, week three of TatT - pretty cool! I have a few things for you all today. First up are some wonderful Apple Cookies that you can find the recipe for here. I did however make a few changes. The first was that I didn't use shortening, I subbed in butter instead. And second I omitted the nuts because some people (me and the hubs) aren't nut fans when it comes to their cookies. They still turned out wonderful. But one note, if you do make them, while you are waiting for your first batch to bake, stick the dough in the fridge to keep it cool. I took these to a mom's club meeting and they were a huge hit!! They taste like a cookie version of apple pie...how can you go wrong??

Next up is one of our suppers from last week. It was Halibut over spinach, broccoli, brown rice and some whole grain bread. No recipe, just a few simple things tossed together for a quick and healthy meal, but it was yummy and the family enjoyed it.

And finally - Doughnut Bread Pudding. The base for the recipe can be found here but because I wanted to use doughnuts and not actual bread, I made a few changes that I will list below. This was really yummy, but next time I will use cake doughnuts and not glazed. Glazed was the hub's choice, but it was a little too much for me. ALSO on another note, this tastes wonderful the first night, but it's not so hot the day after. So, next time I make it I'll make sure to do it at a time when we have more people to enjoy it!

Doughnut Bread Pudding:

6-10 doughnuts (depends on size)

1 cup sugar

2 T butter (melted)

2 1/2 cups milk

2 eggs (lightly beaten)

2 T Vanilla

cut donuts into 1inch pieces, arrange in pie plate. Mix together sugar, butter, milk, eggs and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Pour over doughnuts. Bake at 325 for about an hour, until golden brown on-top.

While baking make the whiskey cream sauce. For this I followed her recipe exactly - and boy oh boy was it yummy!

We served this up with a little vanilla bean ice cream on the side and it was fantastic.

So there are some of our good eats here at our place. Tonight I have to admit we let Papa Johns do the cooking for the guys. I had to get a run in as soon as the hubs walked in from work. He is going to be the coach for the big kids soccer team this fall and had his first meeting tonight! We are both really excited, it should be a good time for all of us! Kid sports are just too darn cute if you ask me.

Hope you all are having a good week so far! KP

4 comments:

Kristen said...

OMG, how yummy!!! I love the fish dish. We don't cook it around here often just because I have a hard time finding good fish. I can't believe that the hubby is going to be Coach Hubby! How cute is that! Lance can't wait until Ian gets to that age. How was the run???

Anonymous said...

Wowza! All of it looks wonderful! I have the apple cookies bookmarked to make. Will link you shortly when I do my post.

How fun for hubs...too neat! He'll really enjoy that!

Anonymous said...

ok YUM, send me some apple cookies, seriously! yum. ok and donut bread pudding, bread pudding is like one of my all time fav. foods, so send me some of that too :) hehe. the dinne with the fish looks scrumptious and delicious! i cant wait to come visit now! haha

Anonymous said...

Matt a coach! he will be so good at it. thats so fun. wow, you guys are like the all american family look how cute you are!