Sunday, April 20, 2008

A bonus post!

Just a warning, this one is going to be a LONG one. I have lots to talk about, and I have to get it all in now because tonight we pull the plug on the computer, meaning that I won't be blogging again until we get settled in Nebraska. I may hop on Matt's laptop for a quick update along the way, but I can make no promises. We leave Wednesday and hope to arrive Saturday in NE. Hopefully that plan works with the truck driver as well, but we won't know that until he comes to pick up. But if not, we are pretty flexible, and will do what it takes to get our stuff and NOT have it go into storage!

So, to begin awhile back I promised to post some of the pictures from the hubby's farewell gifts. Here they are. Well the cookbook was for me, along with my pitcher that has to be shipped to me upon arrival, but the rest are things for my sweet husband. I was hoping to take a picture of the framed picture of the Rhode Island signed by the wardroom, but it's all packaged up to be moved with us, and my cameras are also packed up to go in the car. So I'll try to take one when we have all the stuff hanging up in NE. Anyway...here are the pics.





The first two are of a plaque that he was given by the command, then the little black thing was one of the funnier gag gifts, its a buoy. The hubby "lost" one a few patrols ago and it became a big joke. Then there is my cookbook full of yummy stuff, and the last is a picture of a sub with all the hatches open.

He officially checks out of the command tomorrow. I went up to the office on Friday to watch them pin on his end of tour award which was pretty darn cool! I never went to anything like that for any of his other little ceremonies, so I am glad I was able to go.

There was a lot that went on this weekend! Friday was also hot shot's last day at good old Happy Apple. Hubs and I both went up for a little class party. I am so blessed that our little guy was able to attend there, even if just for a year. It was a great place and Mrs. K was a fantastic teacher. I couldn't have picked a better one for him myself. Here are a few pictures of the treats I took (applesauce cupcakes), Mrs. K's gift from us, and then some fun in the classroom.


Mrs K giving the big kid his graduation medal and scrapbook and bubble time!

Rowing down the stream and the hubby hanging with the wee ones!

The Happy Apple

We also attended the 108th Submarine Birthday Ball on Friday. My parents came in town to stay with the boys and we went and had a GREAT time. Last year was okay fun, but we really didn't get to enjoy it to the fullest with the hubby having duty the next day and me being somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 months preggers with the little guy. So, we got a room down at the hotel and had a good time. It was nice to be able to have one last hurrah with some of our USS RI family.
Getting ready for our night at the ball :)

All dressed up and ready to go!




So, that was Friday in a nutshell. Saturday was spent doing laundry and enjoying time with my parents. Mom took us to dinner last night, and then she left this morning to head back to ATL. I have been doing MORE laundry today, cleaning, and setting things aside in the DO NOT PACK piles so that when the packers arrive tomorrow they don't pack things that we need to have with us.

Earlier in the week I had some goodbye breakfasts and lunches with friends, and have a few more set for early this week. It's going to be hard to leave, but I am very excited about our new adventure. Okay, well it's late, I still have a few loads of laundry to get done before I can go to bed, as well as more packing. So, with that I am going to say good night, I hope you all have a great week and I'll check back in as soon as I can!! Wish us luck... :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pix! Looks like a crazy, fun filled final week in KB. Good luck with the travels...hope all goes smooth! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

awww how cute the ball looked like fun, nice pics, and i am thinking of you cause tomorrow is your move, however you prob. wont even get this till your done being moved, but best of luck on your travels and i wish you safe travels too! and cant wait to come visit nebraska! the good ol' midwest! :) though i feel like that is more west than mid, but ok byeee

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just realized you said he got the signed print too. ALong with the plaque and the framed photo? He must've been super special! :)