Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fair winds and following seas...

Tonight we said our goodbyes to our friends and Navy Family of the USS Rhode Island. Always a bittersweet moment, but one that I will always remember as an amazing night.

I am not in the Navy...I know, no big surprise there. But the hubby is...again nothing new to that statement. He goes to work everyday, and I work at home, both by being a full time mom, and my photography biz. Those two paths (his day to day at work, and my day to day at home) don't cross often. Of course we talk and share stories about what went on during our respective days at work/home but I'm never THERE, I don't hang around at the office and listen to conversations, or know what people do or say. Where as Matt has a pretty good idea of my life here without him, because he does come home (thank goodness) at the end of the day, and on the weekends, etc. (I DO have a point, and I am trying to get there, just hang with me).

Anyway, tonight was our farewell from the Rhode Island. These boat get togethers are one of the only times that I get to experience just a small slice of the hubbies life at work. As tradition goes, everyone gets their turn to "roast" the outgoing officer, complete with some sort of "gag" gift, and in return he gets his shot to pass out gifts along with some funny stories. It's always in good fun, and to be honest it's one of my favorite parts about hail and farewells because it gives us wives just a little "insight" into what it's like for them at work and when they are on the boat. And there are always some really good stories.

I am always proud of my husband, always have been. To me, it doesn't matter WHAT job he does, or what anyone says, or doesn't say, I think he is amazing. I am proud of what he does, and how hard he works, he's a WONDERFUL dad and an amazing husband. I didn't think it was possible to be any more proud of him, until tonight. Sitting there, and listening to the guys talk about him, I was just blown away. To hear the younger guys talk about "looking up to him" and the older ones say that they know he will go far in the Navy was just incredible. I always think he does a good job, but I am his wife and supporting him in what he does is what I do, so to hear others speak what I think was pretty darn cool. It's also nice to know that all the extra effort he does put in along with the long hours didn't go unnoticed. Also, the some of the parting gifts he was given are amazing as well.

We were so lucky to be a part of this boat. And I am sad to say goodbye but looking forward to our next step in this Navy adventure! Our three years on this boat have been great, and I have made some of my best friends while being here in good old KB. Most who have moved on already, and a few who I will be saying my goodbyes to in the next week or so, but amazing friends none the less. I didn't take any pictures because I was just trying to savor every last moment, but I do have a few of some of the cool presents that were given to us so set us on our way.

So with that I am going to say goodnight, and thank you USS Rhode Island (past and present) it's been a wonderful three years and when I think back on our JO tour I will have nothing but smiles and good thoughts fill my mind.

*check back later for pics of some of our gifts...I am too tired to upload them tonight*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful evening and you've got a good attitude...a little sadness but excitement for what lies ahead and fond memories to carry with you.

You and Matt will surely be missed on the 740 family, I have no doubt about that!

Bravo Zulu to both the Lt and the Misses!

Kristen said...

Sounds like a good time. It's hard to move away from where you have built a life, but just think of how wonderful it will be to have your family all together for 2whole years! Shore duty is awesome. Can't wait to see pics.

Anonymous said...

well i don't know much of what you go through bc obviously i am not in the navy and neither is my hubby! haha,but i do get a little tiny glimpse with your stories and i do wonder how you do it sometimes. Reading your entry on how proud you are of matt almost brought tears to my eyes, you guyssss...so sweet. you should be proud of him, he is doing an amazing thing! but yes, i am sure it was so neat to hear all those great things about him. what a night, i am excited for your guys next adventure as you say, will be so much fun. i will surely have to come visit. let me know how the deciding on the dress thing goes...!