Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tales and Pix from the trip...

Good morning friends! Well, we are moved in, and slowly getting settled and making our way through all the boxes. It's a lot of work, and keeping us busy, but I LOVE moving into a new place and getting things all set up the way I want them. Plus I get to RE-organize everything and decorate, which I love. So I am having a good time.

The trip went really well. The packers came last Monday and packed us up, then the driver came and loaded the truck with his crew Tuesday and we were out of St. Marys by late Tuesday afternoon. That night we made it to Macon. The next day we drove ALL day and got to Illinois. We put my GPS to good use and made some nice stops. For lunch we picked up subs, found a park, and had a picnic. The big kid got to run around, little one got some sun, and the pups got to hang out in the fresh air as well. That night we got to use the pool at the hotel which the big kid got a big kick out of, and it was the little one's first dip! It helped get out some of those cooped up car crazies and by the time we went to bed they were pooped.
My little travelers ready for the road


Enjoying a post-drive dip in the pool

The Munchkin and I hanging out pool-side

Crashed out after a long day


Thursday we drove from IL to KS. This was my favorite night of the trip. We stayed in OP which is where I grew up. I haven't been back to visit for years, and even though it was only for one night it was good for my heart. I love that place. We got in around 3, checked into our room, and went for another dip in the pool. We went to dinner after that, then I showed the hubby and the boys around. He now has had the chance to see where I lived, went to school, played, etc. And the best part was our stop over to see my old neighbors (the S crew), which was pretty much my second family growing up. My sister and I stayed there in the summer so we would have something to do while my parents were at work. Anyway, it was SO good to see them, and we had a nice patio sit, it was the hubs first. In case you are wondering a patio sit, is when you sit on the patio and talk. Growing up this was a weekly event when the weather was nice for the parents in my neighborhood. They would all get together, sit on the patio, and just hang out while all of the kids ran around playing flashlight tag and ghost in the graveyard. It's one of my fondest summer memories. The S crew just got a new patio, which is beautiful, I wish I would have taken a picture, but I was too happy to think about such things. So we stayed for an hour or so chatting and catching up, and then it was time to go to get some sleep.

One of the landmarks we passed along the way

Friday was our final drive. We woke up SUPER early to get to NE by 8 to sign the lease so we could meet the movers at 9:30 at the house. But it all worked out. The kids did GREAT on the drive. We took it slow, made lots of stops, and tried to make it as stress free as possible. Our Hot Shot was happy just sitting in the back, playing games, watching movies, or sleeping, and the munchkin slept a lot, and then played with his toys or just watched big brother to see what he was up to. I couldn't have asked for better travelers. The hubby drove the other car with the pups who also did well, but I think they are wondering what the heck is going on. Sammy is not a fan of all the boxes, I think she thinks we are going to leave again. Wait until she finds out she is being boarded this weekend because we have to go to FL for my cousins wedding. Poor girls.
Napping with boxes...working with what we had while they were unloading (it was about 40 for the high the day we moved in...burrr)


Starting to look like home...



Things here have been great so far. We love the area, love the base, and love the house. The gym here is incredible, its got a .4 mile track, 4 lane lap pool, racquetball, basketball, tennis, and and indoor soccer field, cardio and weight machines galore, and even has an area for kids so I can bring the little guys along with me when I go work out...which is good because (drum roll please) today I registered to run a MARATHON in October. Yup, yours truly is going to attempt to run 26.2 miles in this years MCM (Marine Corp Marathon). So wish me luck, and pray I don't keel over and die! Okay, I know that won't happen, but it should be interesting. I am running with (well maybe I should say behind) Sam and am looking forward to sharing the experience with her!
Today we also had our new washer and dryer delivered. And for someone that HATES to do laundry (well not so much the doing...just the putting away), I have to say they are pretty damn cool and they actually make it fun for now. I also went to check out one of the local preschools in the area. It was nice, and it will work if I don't find something else, but I just didn't "love" it. But I was impressed with the curriculum they were doing, the class sizes, all that stuff. I was just spoiled with Happy Apple and it will be hard to measure up to. Tomorrow hot shot and I are visiting another school down the road to see what it's all about. Maybe this will be "the one".
Okay, well I have been working on this post all day, and while there is still more I need to update on, I also need to get some sleep, so I am going to sign off for tonight, and will try to be back tomorrow! Love you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow-Talk about movin' fast! Looks like you're on a roll! The boys are adorable as always...especially the nap pics!

Glad ya'll got there safe and sound and the trip was uneventful. Now you have the exciting journey of experiencing somewhere new!

The gym sounds flippin' awesome...super jealous over here, WOW! I know you'll appreciate it though! And OMFG I'm SO EXCITED about MCM! You're going to do GREAT! I think you'll surprise yourself on what you've projected for yourself. But if you're anything like me (insert sarcastic laugh here!), it'll be the entire ball of events the whole weekend that just make you wonder how you waited so long! The people, the sites, the stories, the history, the event, the glory, everything is just do indescribable but amazing!