Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesday at the Table

This has been another big baking week for me, but thankfully most of it was sent out for others to enjoy. Before I get into my big baking adventure, I'll post actual food. I want you all to see that I do feed my family something other than baked goods loaded with sugar!

Saturday night I made my spaghetti. Nothing fancy, but I do make the sauce myself. I usually change up what goes in my sauce, but tonight it was pretty straight forward, onions, garlic, seasoning and for the meat we went with hot turkey sausage. YUMMY! Served it up over some whole wheat spaghetti noodles, alongside broccoli and wheat rolls...simple but super yummy!

So, what do you do when you go apple picking??? Make all things apple of course. I made some apple oatmeal muffins (sorry no pix) to send off in a goody basket to a new family in the area, and then for my family made apple pie. I am SOOO pleased with how it turned out I can't even begin to tell you.

I'm going to share a dark secret with you all...usually when it comes to pie crusts I let Pillsbury do all the work, or if my mom is around I'll have her do it (her crust is THE BEST). I've always had an unnatural fear of all things pastry crust-like. But I forgot to pick up my ready made pie crusts this week at the store, and was all set to make pie, so I decided to put on my big girl panties and tackle my fears! I pulled out moms recipe and got to work. She wasn't kidding when she said it was no fail - it rolled out easy, and when the pie was done the crust was flaky and perfect. I'm a gal that LOVES pie crust and now that I've done it myself, I'll never be able to go back.

as you can see I am a VERY messy baker

almost done

ready to go in the oven

cooling off...soooooo delicious

I wish I could take a picture of the way the house smelled while this baby was cooking up in the oven because it was incredible...but pictures will just have to do. I can tell you waiting for it to cool was torture!

This recipe was super easy. If you're interested you can check it out here. It's super easy, although I think next time I make it I will add a little flour to thicken up the filling a bit...but the taste is phenomenal!

Well that's it for this week! Nat's coming this weekend so I'll be cooking up some good eats! I've already got a list going...and check back tomorrow for another post...I'm on a roll!! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your visit with Nat!

That pie is absolutely gorgeous...wowza! I too usually go Pillsbury, even though I can make my own. Glad your mom's recipe worked out well for you!

Kristen said...

OMG!!! That pie looks AMAZING!! We went to an apple farm last week and they had pies baking and it smelled so good, so your picture brought back good memories. Thanks for the responses by the way. Things have been going ok. I think I just need some sleep and a good bottle of wine and I'll be better! What can't wine cure, right?