Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tuesday at the Table - baking edition

This week's Tuesday at the Table doesn't have any "real" food in it. It's all about the baked goods...probably because this weekend alone I went through 3 cartons of eggs, and over 5 lbs of sugar, not to mention lots of butter and flour! Yes, I spent quite a lot of time in the kitchen!

I know I promised more pictures of the birthday cake and I will post them - but I'm using a different computer at the moment...and well you know how it goes (I'm lazy and don't want to switch computers). So first I have some cookies I made for Hot Shot's class on Monday to celebrate his birthday. I was going to do those cute sugar cookies I posted last week, but I was SOOO tired Sunday night I just didn't have it in me to do all the work required. So I opted for my tried and true chocolate chip cookie recipe. This recipe is no fail and always turns out fabulous. If you want it just let me know and I'll send you a copy!

Next is another favorite recipe around here...pumpkin bread! This is a recipe that has been passed around in my family for a long time, it's quick, easy, and it always turns out just perfect! I love it! I decided that in addition to the kiddos goody bags that we gave out at the party I'd send the parents home with a treat that everyone could enjoy, so I made up these little loaves of bread! They turned out great, and the best part was one batch of batter made 7 little loaves!

All packaged up

up close and personal - SOOO good!

Pumpkin Bread

Preheat oven to 350 F

Mix together in large bowl:

4 large eggs

3 cups of sugar

2 cups of pumpkin (canned)

1 cup of oil

Add to the mixture above:

3 1/3 cups of AP flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

2/3 cup water

Grease your loaf tins (I use non-stick cooking spray) and pour batter to fill about 1/2 to 2/3 way full. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hr 15 min. until done. Depending on how large loaf tins are. Let cool. This bread tastes best the second day and freezes very well! ENJOY! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We LOVE your pumpkin bread around here! Thats some awesome stuff and even cooler of you to share the recipe since so many people w/ great recipes hoard them!!!

And you know how we feel about the cookies! ;)

I can't wait for the cake though. I still swear that your from scratch cake for big kids bday a few years ago was the best I've ever had! Your crew is lucky to have you....for many reasons (not just your excessive use of sugar, eggs and flour! ;) ...not that I'd know anything about abusing mass quantities of baking goods!)