Saturday, June 7, 2008

Havelock Charity 10K Race Report

*edited with garmin time below*

I don't usually blog on the weekends, but I'll make an exception for race days...here is all the details good, bad and HOT!

We got to the race site around 6:45AM so I could pick up my packet and token t-shirt. When I got out of the car it said it was 75 degrees...BEFORE 7AM!!! And it was a bit humid as well...I checked the weather channel online with my phone and it said it was 60% humidity. So, that was somewhat discouraging but I was very happy that I had brought along my water bottle I use for running to have "just in case".

The race started at 8am. I had my Garmin this time, so I was trying to not start off too fast. When I hit mile 1 I was right at 10 min. Not bad. Mile 1-2 was pretty uneventful, but VERY warm. Miles 2-just over three...ALL UP HILL! Bleah. Got a bit of a break and then more hills to get to mile 4. By this time it was nasty hot and I was really feeling it. There was no shade for the majority of the route leaving you exposed to the hot sun. At 4 and 5 I walked through the water stations to get a nice cold drink (mine was warm by this point and I wanted to save what little I had left).

The last 1.2 miles went pretty easy, I felt good, picked up my pace a bit and had a strong finish. I stopped my Garmin after crossing at it said just over 6.2 miles and my "official" time is 1:07:43. However, I use the term "official" lightly. This was not a big race by any means, and when the gun went off and the race started, you never crossed a pad. So me being toward the back of the group and not running right away, my time was probably a bit faster. I haven't plugged in the garmin yet to see what it says, but I started it when I got to the "start" line so for this race, I am going with what it says. *my garmin said I was 1:07:02 for 6.2 miles. Not much different from the clock, but I'll take it seeing as how I started the moment I started running and stopped just shortly after crossing the finish*

But regardless of time, it was a fun race, and a fun day. The race started and ended at a great park, so the boys and the hubs had fun in the hour they were waiting for me to get back, and it was nice to have LOTS of company for my long run. Oh, and as a little note, I checked the weather when I finished as well, it was 80 but said it "felt like 87". Figures the race would be on the warmest day we've had yet since moving here! There were a few runners "down" as I got to the finish, one just on the ground with a medic next to him, had him hooked to an IV and was pushing fluids while he was passed out...


Here are a few pics, of me coming in to the finish. Notice on the left another dude being put into an ambulance, and then one post race with one of my biggest fans... my little hot shot! Hope you all have a great weekend. I'll be back on Monday!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm so proud of you!!! Congrats on the time! You look great by the way and pink really agrees with you! Hope you had a blast.

Anonymous said...

ok, well you know how proud I am but I'll say it again!

And DAMN you look hot! Holy crap, what do you weigh, like 100#s?! :) Look at those quads go!

I'm going to blog later about kayaking, just so you know, because you and my sister are the only two that ever comment on my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW KEL! go you, i am so proud of you, thats awesome. and with it being that hot, i can barely walk around let alone run 6.2 miles. thats crazy! and i have no idea what a garmin is, but i assume it tracks some time and some miles?? am i close. :) haha, um that tells ya how much i know about running. i could never do it. walking the dogs these days is about all i have time for. i should start trying to run around the neighborhood, i have thought about it, but i dunno. i look like a retard when i run for sure! so anyhow its like 92 degrees here so i feel your pain. hey now we have about the same weather right? :) haha! finally. when it gets cold here i bet it gets cold there too? well anyhow thought id check in. but gotta run. i am doing bills and registering our home warranty. oh the joyous thrills of my life.